Monday, December 13, 2010

What I Learned About Christmas

Christmas has always been a special time of year for many. And not always for the same reasons. For some it's a religious time, for others it is a time to bring families together, and others a time for having celebrations with friends that they've missed.

Image borrowed from 
christmastreedecorationss.blogspot.com



For me, it has become a time of longing. Being reminded of loved ones lost, whether in death or simply drifting apart, lost none the less. This year my mother is gone, yet in exchange I have gained nieces and siblings that I haven't heard from in years. Even though I think my mother would have liked to have had the opportunity to reconnect with them, I can't help but feel grateful that at least I have them back.

The children I adored now have children of their own. Children I hope to connect with, I hope to give cause to remember me when I'm gone. And while looking at my over-burdened Christmas tree, I think I've found a small way to give them a reminder of me, and perhaps get reminders from them.


My tree is full; there are ornaments on every limb. There are some Hummels and Disneys that I collected many years ago in order to have something of value to pass down to my own children one day, but those don't seem as precious anymore. The ones that strike me as important are the home-made ones. There are ornaments that my mother made, ornaments that my children made, and a few that I myself have made. I point at the little painted wooden puppy and tell my children that Granny made that when I was 4. There's the painted snowman that Aunt Shana made. Or the cross stitch ornaments that I got back after my grandmother died, the one I made for her.

My tree carries heritage. So many ornaments on it have a special meaning, or came from a special person. There are so many special people that aren't represented on the tree, but I can fix that. I can make ornaments in their honor. Whether I use photos or mementos to make the ornaments, I can create ornaments to commemorate my mother, my father, my grandmothers, my grandfathers, even my aunts, uncles, and cousins.

But is it necessary to commemorate those still here? Perhaps not. Perhaps I can suggest a new family tradition. An exchanging of ornaments instead of gifts. Whether they are purchased or home made, we can always look at them and say, "this person gave that to me." And these ornaments can be passed down to my children, along with the stories of the people who gave them.

I find my tree pretty satisfying right now. Every limb is full. And I know that it is nearly time for my children to start venturing out into the world on their own because I have ornaments to pass down without my tree turning sparse. So I can pass on memories to my children soon, without losing any on my own tree.
To me, Christmas is about family; past, present, and future. And if I can connect my children to their ancestors, even those still living, then all of the fuss and hub-bub of the commercialized season is worth the trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment