Thursday, October 28, 2010

Fat People Gross You Out??

Maura Kelly
Maura Kelly. Unless you read Marie Claire or follow Maura's blog you probably never heard of this woman, I didn't until she stuck her foot in her mouth clear up to her knee.

I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room — just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine addict slumping in a chair.”



Well, Maura, I'm fat. I'm also smart, loving, informed, friendly, a pretty good cook, and a very fine writer. I'm also happily married and do all of the things you skinny people do. I spend time with my children, I go on hikes, I ride horses, and I work in the yard. I'm of similar body shape as millions of other Americans, so why shouldn't my figure be representative on television?

Granted, being over weight isn't healthy, but I don't think it is justified to compare an over weight person to a drunk or a heroine addict. What about those that are over weight because of thyroid problems, diabetes, or other ailments? Despite the stereotype of fat people sitting around stuffing sweets in their mouth day and night, some of us have been making valiant efforts that show in slow and scattered progress.

As most of my readers know, I submitted an entry for the Good Morning America Advice Guru. Would I, should I, by denied the opportunity because I'm over weight? I would hope not. I am an attractive woman, I know this because men flirt with me even though I'm carrying extra weight. I know I'm an excellent writer because I have a fan base from my personal writings. I know I give great advice because people that have asked for my advice have told me that they tried what I suggested and it worked out for them. And finally, I know I'm friendly because I make friends pretty easily.

Maura, fat people display affection, remember Roseann and Dan from that 80's-90's sitcom? Fat people also have emotions. Fat people in America is reality TV. Yes, you apologized, that was the “politically correct” thing to do. But do you get it? Human beings come in all shapes and sizes, including FAT.

===============================================
===============================================
UPDATE

In Maura's apology, she made this statement:

" I was talking about a TV show that features people who are not simply a little overweight, but appear to be morbidly obese. (Morbid obesity is defined as 100 percent more than their ideal weight.)  And for whatever it's worth, I feel just as uncomfortable when I see an anorexic person as I do when I see someone who is morbidly obese, because I assume people suffering from eating disorders on either end of the spectrum are doing damage to their bodies, and that they are unhappy. But perhaps I shouldn’t be so quick to judge based on superficial observations."


Thank you, you get it.  Fat people, morbidly obese people, can be happy.  They can be loved romantically. They can be made to feel desirable by somebody that loves them. Loving an obese person isn't some type of deviance, it's just love.

No comments:

Post a Comment